In relation to an arms deal struck way back in the 1990s, the chief prosecutor has announced he will charge former president Jacob Zuma with corruption.

The charges for corruption were allegedly committed during a US$ 2.5 billion deal made nearly thirty years ago. Zuma was first charged in 2005 with corruption when his financial adviser was convicted of fraud and corruption charges.

Shaun Abrahams, the chief prosecutor said Friday, ”After consideration of the matter, I am of the view that there are reasonable prospects of successful prosecution of Mr. Zuma in the charges listed in the indictment”.

In 2006, Zuma went to trial but the case was stalled when the prosecution said it wasn’t able to pursue it further more than a year after he was initially charged.

Shortly after Jacob Zuma won the presidency in 2009, the case was controversially dropped by the National Prosecuting Authority.

It was only last month, that the ruling African National Congress (ANC), forced Zuma to resign as president of the Rainbow Nation.

In the nine years of the Zuma presidency, he was accused several times of corruption but has repeatedly maintained his innocence.

 

 

Neba Benson,

BaretaNews Foreign Correspondent/Analyst

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

You May Also Like

Early Morning Raid Left 3 Terror Suspects Killed in Burkina Faso

      An operation conducted Tuesday by security personnel in the…

US House Passes The “Donald Trump Act”

  United States House Republicans have passed legislation that would deny federal…

Libya’s Central Bank Set to Impose Commission in all Dealings with Foreign Currency

          Central Bank officials in the capital Tripoli,…

Trump’s New Travel Ban Halted: I will take the case “as far as it needs to go”

United States President Donald Trump is ready to effect his foreign policy…