Learners from virtually all 13 Counties of Southern Cameroons boycotted second term school resumption, Monday 8 2018. Though some schools flung their doors open, the turn out for the first week of studies in the primary, secondary and University levels, flunked to the barest minimum.
In an exclusive investigation carried out by BaretaNews in 9 out of the 13 Counties, schools in Southern Cameroons continued experiencing ‘ghost’ holidays even as La Republique du Cameroun (LRC), deployed all means to ensure the irony happens. It was understood that, the arrest of Ambazonian leaders on January 5 2018, coupled with the invasion of Southern Cameroons by LRC military, greatly contributed to the flop in school resumption.
According to the principals of GHS Kembong, Mamfe County, school resumption largely remains a mirage in that part of Ambazonian land. He blames the dud in resumption on the highly militarisation of the area by forces of LRC.
“No one can even walk freely in Kembong, talk less of going to school. Students have all run away to neighbouring Nigeria, while others are now living in the forest. How can children go back to school when the whole land has been invaded by elements of LRC colonial forces? I for one, fears for my life, because, those dreaded soldiers know no ally,” the principal said.
The story was recorded in Queen of Rosary College, Okoyong, GTHS, GHS, and GBPS in Mamfe, GHS Dadi GBPS Agborkem German. According officials who spoke with BaretaNews, the colonial troops of LRC played a large role in the perturbation of learning in Manyu, Meme, and Ndian Counties.
Arrest of Ambazonian Leaders Flopped School Resumption
Combing areas like Kupe Muanenguba, Lebialem, Momo, Menchum, Nkambe, and Bui, schools registered a very low turn out on LRC’s first week of second term.
Many told BaretaNews that so long as their leaders remain in abduction, they shall not send their children to school.
Speaking to Fai Richard in Nkambe, BaretaNews was made to understand that many are saddened by the arrest of the Ambazonia leaders. They decided to mourn and pray for their leaders by intensifying ghost towns (kontri Sunday) during the past week.
“We cannot allow our children go to school when our (Ambazonia) leaders are incarcerated in an unidentified place. We shall press for the release of our leaders using all means availbale to us. We have resolved to intensify ghost towns and also use some other measures that I will not disclose to you (for obvious reasons), to press on the release of our leaders,” Reginald Nkemata, a resident of Lewoh, Lebialem County indicated.
It should be noted that Counties like Fako and Mezam that hitherto recorded relatively significant number of learner in various schools, also suffered huge absences on the first week of school.
According to one the Vice Principals of BGS Molyko, Bruno Walto, the school recorded a significant low turnout last week. He blamed the absences on social media hype.
“I can’t imagine students are still staying back home because they are being asked to do so by some people on Facebook. It is unbelievable. We recorded less than 500 attendees this week, and it is unheard of,” Bruno Waltos said.
At GTHS Molyko, the Principal, Ronard Apay, blamed the low turn out on end of year effervescence, yet to leave some students or parents.
“We registered less that 300 students last week. I believe it is due to the fact that many students displaced themselves during the short break Things could change this week as those who were still enjoying Christmas and New Year, would answer present beginning Monday,” Apay said.
In all, schools are far from resumption in Southern Cameroons. ¾ of schools in the two Zones of the Ambazonian Republic, are yet to open their doors. Those that have managed to, still have limited number of learners coming around.
BaretaNews will be monitoring the situation as it develops…
By Lucas Muma,
Managing Editor – BaretaNews