Buea, the Capital of South West Region is the centre of Technology in the Cameroons. You need to visit Buea which has been termed the Silicon Mountain by Technological experts and young engineers. They are the face of the Cameroons and Africa. The African Centre for Technology, Innovation and Ventures Spaces (ActivSpaces) is taking a lead in this venture. They recently organised an event on Saturday, July 23, 2016, known as the Pitch Day 237 in Akwa, Douala. The event was aimed at exposing startups incubated at ActivSpaces to the general public to discover promising technological projects.
The Pitch Day 237 sought to determine high-potential projects that would benefit from the acceleration program “Enabling BootCamp.” This program as indicated by the press release was implemented by ActivSpaces and CAN so as to enable startups to grow by monitoring follow-up support estimated at 4.6 million FCFA including an amount of 1 million CFA francs that was awarded in cash.
The Press Release also stated that fourteen startups succeeded to present their projects. Eventually, four of the twelve startups were designated as winners and recipients of the “ACTIVATION BOOTCAMP.” These includes:
– KEMI STORE, an online platform that allows you to order products referenced on millions of online shopping site and be delivered to Cameroon within 15 days.
– OZI PRESS, a digital kiosk Cameroonian newspapers that can be viewed on smartphones or computers wherever we are.
– iDJANGUI, a mobile application to help manage financial transactions in a tontine.
– FELICITY, the best and easiest method to trade, customer loyalty and manage promotional campaigns.
Last year winners were:
- VIVA. It is a means of entertainment available for buses and airplanes. Viva offers a wealth of content accessible on the Internet via WiFi. A selection of programs for you to enjoy a pleasant journey.
- Djoss.TV. This web and mobile application allow you to react and comment live with others of television programs. The challenge is to measure the popularity and impressions of television programs.
BaretaNews noted that the event had guests of honor such as Rebecca Enonchong, Roland Kwemain, Eric niat , Vice President AppsTech and Marvin Cole, CEO of Ovamba that served as sponsors for the second edition of pitch Day 237. Representatives of the Ministry of Small and Medium Enterprises and the Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications graced the events.
ActivSpaces is a Tech incubator that aims to create and develop an ecosystem conducive to technology development in Cameroon. As a non-profit organization, ActivSpaces assists startups in the field of Technology, offering a free workspace, an internet connection, and a mentoring program. Founded in 2014, Cameroon Angels Network (CAN) is the first network of angel investors in Cameroon. CAN invests in all sectors and industries with a particular interest in technology…the release stated.
They can be contacted at:
Site Web: activspaces.com
BaretaNews is happy to see initiatives like these. Indeed Cameroon emergence will depend on these young men and women who make up the silicon mountain.
God is still saying something.